Crimson Tide, Seminoles stay perfect...Wild win for the Buckeyes...Cardinal fall
UNDATED (AP) - Top-ranked Alabama remains unbeaten despite a sloppy performance in Starkville, Mississippi.
The Crimson Tide had four turnovers and led just 10-7 midway through the third quarter before posting a 20-7 win over Mississippi State. T.J. Yeldon ran for 160 yards and A.J. McCarron threw for two scores for the 10-0 Tide. But McCarron also tossed two rare interceptions and Yeldon had a costly fumble that led to Mississippi State's only touchdown.
Second-ranked Florida State still controls its BCS title game hopes after Jameis (JAYM'-his) Winston completed 19 of 21 for 277 yards and two touchdowns in a 59-3 laugher against Syracuse. The Seminoles outgained the Orange 523 yards to 427 and blanked Syracuse until late in the fourth quarter.
Third-ranked Ohio State was a 60-35 winner against Illinois, but it was a lot tougher than it sounded. Carlos Hyde scored five touchdowns, Braxton Miller threw for a pair of scores and the Buckeyes raced out to a 28-0 lead. But the outcome was in doubt until Hyde scored on runs of 51 and 55 yards in the last 4:03 to seal the win. Ohio State improved to 10-0 this season and 22-0 under Urban Meyer.
The big shocker came out of Los Angeles, where fifth-ranked Stanford followed its victory over Oregon last Thursday by falling to Southern California 20-17. Andre Heidari kicked a 47-yard field goal with 19 seconds to play as the Trojans earned their fifth victory in six games under interim coach Ed Orgeron.
Cody Kessler passed for 288 yards for the revitalized Trojans.
Checking out the rest of the top-25 schedule:
- Fourth-ranked Baylor crushed Texas Tech 63-34 behind Bryce Petty, who threw for three touchdowns and ran for two others. Shock Linwoodran 29 times for 187 yards and a touchdown while Devin Chafin had 11 carries for 100 yards and two TDs in in the Bears' school-record 13th consecutive win.
- Marcus Mariota threw for 288 yards and three touchdowns to carry sixth-ranked Oregon past Utah 44-21. De'Anthony Thomas caught a touchdown pass and scored on an 86-yard kickoff return as the Ducks bounced back from last week's loss to Stanford.
- Seventh-ranked Auburn pulled out a 43-38 win over No. 25 Georgia as Ricardo Louis scored on a deflected 73-yard pass on fourth and 18 with 25 seconds left. The Tigers blew a 27-7 lead before improving to 10-1 heading into a meeting with top-ranked Alabama in two weeks.
- South Carolina has a school-record 16-game home winning streak after Elliott Fry hit four field goals in kick the 11th-ranked Gamecocks past Florida 19-14. Fry gave the Gamecocks a 16-14 lead by drilling a 22-yard field goal with 6:43 remaining.
- Quarterback Clint Chelf ran for two touchdowns and 12th-ranked Oklahoma State stayed in the Big 12 championship chase by beating No. 23 Texas 38-13. Chelf threw for 197 yards and ran for a team-high 95 as the Sooners ended the Longhorns' six-game winning streak.
- Fourteenth-ranked Michigan State converted five Nebraska turnovers into 24 points and a 41-28 win over the Cornhuskers at Lincoln. Jeremy Langford ran 32 times for 151 yards and scored two touchdowns to help the Spartans beat the Huskers for the first time in eight all-time meetings.
- No. 15 Central Florida escaped with a 39-36 win at Temple on Shawn Moffitt's 23-yard field goal as time expired. Blake Bortles was 27 of 38 for a career-high 404 yards and four touchdowns, including a game-tying, 30-yard pass to J.J. Worton with 1:06 remaining.
- James White ran for a career-high 205 yards and Melvin Gordon added another 146 as 17th-ranked Wisconsin blasted Indiana 51-3. Backup running back Corey Clement rushed for 108 yards and two touchdowns, while receiver Jared Abbrederis had 86 yards and two TDs on just three carries.
- Dominique Brown ran for a career-high 137 yards and two touchdowns to carry No. 19 Louisville to a 20-13 win over Houston. The Cardinals trailed 13-10 until Brown scored the go-ahead TD in the third quarter.
- Marion Grice ran for 118 yards and two touchdowns to lead No. 21 Arizona State to a 30-17 win over Oregon State. Robert Nelson returned one of Sean Mannion's four interceptions 23 yards for a game-clinching TD with 5:08 remaining.
- Bob Stoops matched Barry Switzer's school record of 157 coaching victories at Oklahoma when the 22nd-ranked Sooners cruised to a 48-10 victory over Iowa State. Backup quarterback Trevor Knight replaced the injured Blake Bell in the second quarter and rushed for 123 yards and one touchdown.
- Brandon Connette ran for a career-high four touchdowns and threw for a fifth as Duke downed No. 24 Miami 48-30 to take over first place in the ACC's Coastal Division. Josh Snead rushed for a career-high 138 yards and Shaq Powell added a 33-yard touchdown run that put the Blue Devils ahead 45-30 with 6:50 left.