Another thriller for Orange...Buckeyes win No. 20
UNDATED (AP) - The top-ranked Syracuse has capped a week of close calls by pulling out a win over North Carolina State to remain one of two unbeaten teams in men's college basketball.
C.J. Fair's winning layup with 6.7 seconds left gave Syracuse a 56-55 win over the Wolf Pack. Rakeem Christmas had a steal to set up Fair and help the Orange improve to 25-0 overall, 12-0 in the ACC.
Christmas had 14 points, 12 rebounds and seven blocks as Syracuse earned its 10th single-digit win despite shooting 35.2 percent. Jerami Grant had 12 points and 14 rebounds, while Fair scored 11 points on 5-of-16 shooting.
The outcome comes three days after Syracuse needed a 3-pointer by Tyler Ennis at the buzzer to beat Pittsburgh 58-56.
In other top-25 action on Saturday:
- Scottie Wilbekin scored 23 points and third-ranked Florida claimed its 17th consecutive win by defeating No. 14 Kentucky 69-59. Wilbekin hit five free throws down the stretch after the Gators fell behind 45-38 with 11:12 remaining. Casey Prather scored 24 points on 8-of-9 shooting.
- Winston Shepard scored 14 of his 16 points in the final 7:14 to lead No. 5 San Diego State over Air Force 64-56. Xavier Thames and Dwayne Polee II each scored 13 points to help the Aztecs bounce back from their first loss since mid-November.
- Perry Ellis scored a career-high 32 points and finished with eight rebounds and five assists as seventh-ranked Kansas ripped TCU 95-65. Andrew Wiggins added 17 points for the Jayhawks, who led just 47-40 before opening the second half on a 13-1 run.
- Eighth-ranked Duke picked up its 30th consecutive home win by holding off Maryland 69-67. Jabari Parker had 23 points, grabbed eight rebounds and delivered a dunk that put the Blue Devils ahead 68-67 with 1:19 remaining.
- Sean Kilpatrick scored 28 points and 10th-ranked Cincinnati improved to 12-1 in the American Athletic Conference by downing Houston 73-62. Justin Jackson scored all 13 of his points in the second half for the Bearcats, who were playing their first game since having a 15-game winning streak snapped with a 76-55 loss at SMU last Saturday.
- DeAndre Kane had 17 points with nine assists to lead No. 11 Iowa state over Texas Tech 70-64. The Cyclones hung on for the win after blowing an 18-point lead in the second half.
- No. 12 Saint Louis has a 17-game winning streak after Dwayne Evans contributed 21 points and 10 rebounds of in a 64-62 squeaker over VCU. Jordair Jett and Rob Loe had 14 points apiece for the Billikens, who blew a 12-point lead before improving to 10-0 in the Atlantic 10.
- Melsahn Basabe scored 16 points and No. 16 Iowa earned its third straight road win by knocking off Penn State 82-70. Roy Devyn Marble added 15 and Aaron White had 14 as the Hawkeyes upped their record to 19-6.
- Joe Harris scored 16 points, including a critical 3-pointer with about three minutes left to carry 17th-ranked Virginia last Clemson 63-58. The Cavaliers are 12-1 in the ACC and have their first nine-game conference winning streak in 32 years.
- No. 19 Texas was an 88-71 winner over West Virginia behind 18 points from Javan Felix. Cameron Ridley chipped in 17 points to the Longhorns' 20th win.
- No. 24 Connecticut beat No. 20 Memphis, 86-81 in overtime as Shabazz Napier scored a career-high 34 points to help the Huskies sweep the season series. Ryan Boatright added 21 points for UConn, which is 20-5 and 8-4 in the American Athletic Conference.
- Aaron Craft scored 14 points and 22nd-rated Ohio State held Illinois to 28.3 percent shooting in a 48-39 win over the Illini. LaQuinton Ross added nine points for Ohio State, which picked up its 20th win despite trailing 23-20 at halftime.
- James Michael McAdoo had 24 points and 12 rebounds to help North Carolina beat No. 25 Pittsburgh 75-71 for its season-high sixth straight victory. Marcus Paige added 18 points for the 17-7 Tar Heels.